A grozing-iron was used to manipulate and shape glass with its hooked end. It was also known as 'glazier's nippers'.

Dictionary of Medieval Terms and Phrases. .

Игры ⚽ Нужна курсовая?

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Grozing iron — Gro zing i ron 1. A tool with a hardened steel point, formerly used instead of a diamond for cutting glass. [1913 Webster] 2. (Plumbing) A tool for smoothing the solder joints of lead pipe. Knight. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • grozing iron — [ grəʊzɪŋ] noun chiefly historical a pair of pliers for clipping the edges of pieces of glass. Origin ME: grozing from MDu., from the stem of gruizen crush, trim glass , from gruis fragments …   English new terms dictionary

  • grozing — gro·zing …   English syllables

  • grozing — /ˈgroʊzing/ (say grohzing) noun Glassmaking the process of shaping the edge of a glass sheet by removing extraneous bits, usually with pliers with a curved jaw designed for this purpose …  

  • grozing iron — /groh zing/ 1. (in plumbing) a hot iron for finishing soldered joints. 2. a steel tool for cutting glass. [1680 90; part trans. of D gruisijzer, equiv. to gruis (s. of gruizen to crush, deriv. of gruis grit) + ijzer IRON] * * * …   Universalium

  • grozing iron — noun a) a plumbers tool for soldering lead pipes b) a tool used in making stained glass windows …   Wiktionary

  • grozing iron — ˈgrōziŋ noun Etymology: part translation of Dutch gruisijzer, from gruizen (dial. groezen) to crush, trim glass (from gruis gravel, fragments, from Middle Dutch gruus) + yzer iron; akin to Middle Low German grūs, grōs crushed stone, gravel, Old… …   Useful english dictionary

  • grozing-iron — …   Useful english dictionary

  • Breaker-grozier pliers — are tools used by Glaziers to break and finish glass in a controlled manner. They are dual purpose pliers, with a flat jaw that s used for breaking out scores and a curved jaw that s used for grozing flares from the edge of broken glass. Both… …   Wikipedia

  • stained glass — stained glass, adj. glass that has been colored, enameled, painted, or stained, esp. by having pigments baked onto its surface or by having various metallic oxides fused into it, as used in church windows, decorative lampshades, etc. [1785 95] *… …   Universalium

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”